The Big Lemon is a community interest company set up by Tom Druitt to run eco-friendly, sustainable bus and coach travel in Brighton and provide a template for other cities to follow suit. Buses run on 100% waste cooking oil, at the time serving Brighton and Sussex university sites in Falmer and Brighton city centre.
From 2009-2011 I provided communications support and advice through the company’s biggest growth period: going from one to three routes around the city, taking on 50% more vehicles and staff, launching a waste oil collection service and fighting off stiff competition from the city’s other bus company: Brighton & Hove.
Nic was a pleasure to work with and we would definitely have him back on the team.
- Increased local coverage in target media focused on membership scheme and communicating eco-friendly values and low cost (University student newspapers and Brighton Argus) contributing to an increased ‘membership’ several times over.
- Design, launch and promotion of Corporate Social Responsibility project ‘Give Something Back’ with travel in return for donations on the first Sunday of each month, donations being given to a local third sector organisation picked by regular passengers and ‘members’.
- Key coverage in trade magazine Buses and other trade media, promoting the organisation as a template for other areas to follow.
- Increased strategic use of social media and website, introducing improved strategy and making use of social media to address detractors’ criticisms of the service in real time.
- Provided strategic media and reputation advice during the organisation’s biggest growth period.
- Date: Jul 30, 2017